Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Lively Fisting

Yeah... that pretty much has nothing to do with this post. But I'm watching Parks & Recreation right now so... that just happened.

Onto the fistless pictures!

We begin here. With breakfast. Peanut butter puffins with skim milk and grapes. 215 calories.



Peanut butter puffins are amazing. I am sad a serving is only 3/4 of a cup. I would like it to be 10 cups. Probably. They are delicious.

My earlier iffiness towards them I think was because I ate them dry. I am just not generally a dry cereal person. Some people like to take a little baggy of cheerios and eat them just plain. No. Not me. I also don't like granola or chex mix. Same principle of aversion towards dry cereals.

But puffins + milk = I might just start eating breakfast every day.

That's kind of life changing.

As I was slurping up the left over milk something inside of my body was like "OHMADAWD! WHAT IS THIS MIRACLE DRANK I AM DRANKING?! IT IS GOOD! GIVE MEEH MORE! NAAAAAAOOOOOOOOO!!"

I try to listen to those kinds of insane/super strong cravings.

I don't usually like to drink my calories but today I made an exception because of the screaming voice.



1/2 cup of skim milk cuz that was all we had left. 45 calories.

After my hurried breakfast we went to my parents house where I barbecued a tri tip.

At 7 o clock in the morning.

I'm pretty sure their neighbors think we are insane. The truth is, there was going to be no other time in the day left to cook. So it had to be then.

After my tri tip was done I dropped my husband off at work and got a one shot americano with a splash of half and half and a sweetener for my coffee fix. 30 calories.

Then I fell asleep for an hour.

Went to the grocery store for some essentials. Like CHEESE. If we run out of cheese, I will go to the grocery store within the next 12 hours, guaranteed.

We do not "do without" cheese around here.

We also needed other dumb stuff like milk, trash bags and salad.

Speaking of salad! When I got back from the grocery store I made this.



A decent sized salad with green leaf lettuce, some chopped green cabbage, slaw, tzatziki watered down with milk and massive amounts of black pepper. 30 calories.

I don't know what it is lately but I have been craving CREAMY dressing. My fridge is stocked with vinaigrettes because they are low cal and usually I dig italian and balsamic. I just haven't been feeling it lately.

I thought this might hit the spot but it SO did not.

I realized what I really wanted... stinky cheese.

When I was a kid the only salad dressing I would ever eat was blue cheese dressing. Every once in awhile my family would have salad for dinner. We'd shred a bunch of lettuce; cook chicken, bacon and egg; shred cheddar cheese; dice up an assortment of veggies and then everyone would make their own salad how they liked it. If we went to all that work to discover there was no blue cheese dressing left in the fridge I distinctly remember crying hysterically until my daddy went to the grocery store to buy my special dressing.

It wasn't actually until I was 19/20 that I realized other salad dressings could be good too. I started to appreciate the tangy salad at olive garden. The savory greek salads. My horizons expanded.

But still. Blue cheese is special to my heart. And on the rare occasion that I am treating myself to a nice dinner I always get a blue cheese salad on the side of my entree.

Okay. Short story REALLY long... I love blue cheese dressing but I don't buy it because it's got some ridiculous calorie count like 120 for 2 tablespoons.

And then I remembered there was a blue cheese dressing recipe in the weight watchers cookbook I bought.

So I dug it out, realized I needed a few things, and went BACK to the grocery store.

See? I am serious about my blue cheese cravings people. VERY serious.

One grocery store trip and about 15 minutes later I had this...



Blue cheese dressing ya'll. Very simple mix of low-fat buttermilk, low-fat mayo, fresh snipped chives, crushed garlic (SHOUT OUT TO MY GARLIC PRESS! WOOT WOOT!) and blue cheese. That's it.

Get this.

FIFTY-SIX calories per TWO TABLESPOONS.

And this is GOOD. I mean REALLY good!

I will be keeping this in my fridge always from now on.

So to go with my blue cheese I made another salad to enjoy at work.


Green leaf lettuce, sprouts, cabbage, slaw. Turkey bacon. Hardboiled egg. Some random crunchy onion salad topper things. Half a pear. 270 calories for all of it and OH MY GOD was it good.

I already know I'm gonna have it again for lunch tomorrow.

Maybe for dinner too even.

Something about the way the creamy egg mixes in with the salty bacon and crunchy lettuce and tangy blue cheese...

AaaaaAaaahhh. I could just die.

But then I wouldn't have gotten to eat this little baby at my usual "FEED ME NOW" time of 4 pm.



2 Falafel patties, some tzatziki, green beans and half a flat bread I made the other day. 185 calories.

Dinner!! I was looking forward to these fries all day long.


The tri tip that made me look crazy, a CAREFULLY PORTIONED amount of garlic fries to prevent me from dumping the whole bowl into my mouth and some watermelon. 330 calories.

The garlic fries, by the way, are from Trader Joe's. They are BOMB. But I think if I make my own they will be even better.

I am going to try this theory out tomorrow possibly. Also if I make my own I will get to eat MORE for LESS calories. WOOT! :D

Right after dinner we had to rush off somewhere. Got home at about 9:30 with some calories to spare and COULD NOT decide what I wanted.

Marshmallow? Yogurt? Chocolate? Peanut butter?

I just couldn't figure out what I wanted most.

So I had them all.

What?

Don't look at me like that!!


See? I had small portions of all of them.

Kettle corn, frozen yogurt (plus cherry), a tiny piece of the chocolate caramel crack bar, a piece of a chocolate graham with some marshmallow melted on top, a honey wheat pretzel stick and some puffins in skim milk. 165 calories. (Right? I couldn't believe how big it looked for so little calories! I had to double weigh everything to be sure.)

And because there was only 1-5 bites of each mini-snack I savored those bites more than I would have if I had crunched on only one thing.

You'll probably be seeing more mini-snack plates out of me.

I loves me some variety!

Now I'm sipping on refresh (mint) tea to close off the night.

1270 calories for the day. No exercise because the day was way too crazy. Thursdays will pretty much always be rest days for me.

I give today a 9 out of 10! I got to eat a whole lot of stuff I REALLY wanted to eat and I exercised portion control when it came to those garlic fries. That was pretty dang hard to do.

*pats self on back*

^_^

1 comment:

  1. WOW! that looks like a fabulous blue cheese dressing! i really wanna try making my own sometime- could be fun! :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete